Followers

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

How to have the courage to dress differently (with tips on dealing with people)

I'm sorry it has been so long! I had to get my computer fixed, it need a new hard drive and could not find my email password for this blog for ages.

Now I am back with a shiny new post and how I have missed you all!

____________________________________________________________________________

 I've been dressing the way I do for quite a while now. Before I moved out I was limited to what I could wear. Now that I live away from my parents, I have more leeway to be who I am and wear what I want.

I understand how dressing alternatively in everyday life may not be easy. Many new darklings worry about how the public will react to how they want to dress. They worry about being made fun of and insulted.

Over the years, I've learned to tune out others jeers and laughter. I'm just naturally oblivious to things around me when I'm focusing on other things. I am sensitive to others emotion so I had to learn how to "turn off" my sensitivity.

It can be hard for new goths to dress the way they want , it's good to try and dress the way you want but I firmly believe that you need to dress smart.

I wouldn't wear my favorite safety pinned jeans to my boyfriends units (judgemental) relatives house, I still wear all black but I tend to want to dress more Lacey goth than Spikey goth.

I naturally lean towards spiky goth (My term for Goths who prefer ripped jeans, spikes, leather and more Death-rocker/Rocker approach to fashion) because I love the way I feel in these types of clothes.

However, I believe that it is important for us Spiky goth types to know when to "tone it down" (god how I hate that term) at times.

Not that I think that those with a more refined or Lacey Goth (My term for victorian-esque goths who enjoy wearing "fancy" clothing with lace, long skirts, etc.) have less trouble for dressing gothic but I tend to get better reception from judgmental people when I dress in a Lacey goth way.

In other situations, I wear whatever I want and don't give a damn. WEAR WHAT YOU LIKE AND BE WHO YOU WANT TO BE! who cares if others have an opinion about how you dress or who you are. In the words of my favorite character from Game of Thrones.

" Let me give you some advice, bastard: Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."


I love this quote so much, I might get it tattooed on myself.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...